Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Myrtle Beach golfing

This is about year 30 for my golf trip with my college buddies. Every year we get together and head down to Myrtle Beach, SC for a few days of golf and a bit of drunken debauchery.  Of course, as our age slowly goes up, the wildness dies back a little bit. 

Here we have Dave and Jason having a big time in their rocking chairs outside our condo.  No, we haven't resorted to being this boring, at least not yet.  You might notice the two phones charging on the right edge of the photo.  All this was happening because there was no power in our condo when we arrived.  After a few phone calls, we learned that our condo was supposed to have sold that very day, but the closing fell through.  The sellers had had the power turned off, thinking that the new owners would turn it on in their names.  Oops.  Fortunately the power company came out while we were having dinner and got it going again.
We normally have eight on our trip, but for the second year in a row, Lewis had to back out at the last minute.  His 94 year old mother was in the hospital with pneumonia. From left to right, we have Jim, John, Darrell and I.
Our other group was Bobby (who shoots in the low 70s), Dave and Jason.
Those sunny pictures above were taken in the 15 minute period of sunshine.  Here is a much more accurate depiction of our weather.
Under normal circumstances I would assume that Jim is hitting from the edge of a pond.  For this weekend, with all the rain we had and all the rain that led up to it, this might just be a giant, deep puddle.
The sad news is that the cold winter, followed by the numerous drenching rains had left some of the greens in less than ideal conditions.  The good news is that just gives us something to blame.
Our local watering hole is a place called Molly Darcy's Irish Pub. As we walked in, we ran across this young lady, who I immediately got to pose with Dave.  After a while I determined that this was her prom outfit on her prom night.  The guy had backed out on her, so she was here at this bar, accompanied by her mother.  What a bizarre start to an evening.
Many, many years ago, when we first started our golf trips, one of the guys that joined us was Gary Price, a neighbor of Darrell's growing up.  Even though he went to the University of No Class (UNC), we went drinking together in college.  Gary gave up on our trips about two decades ago because they were too much golf.  He was down in Myrtle Beach though, and met us for the night.  (From left: Bobby, Darrell, Jim, Dave and Gary).
Like so many humans, this groups finds its comfort zone and immediately falls into a rut.  We like Dino's for a nice breakfast and we start there every morning.
There are some things you see golfing at the beach that you just don't see here in Park City.
As much as I know that I will never be very good at golf, occasionally I show little glimmers of hope.  This year, during the 4 rounds of golf we played, I had one 9 hole section where I looked like I knew what I was doing.  For the front 9 at Pine Lakes I hit four pars, four bogies and a double bogie, for a 41 on a par 35. This will go down in history as the only time I was ahead of Darrell for more than a hole or two.

During this trip I also got to stay with Jim and Carmella Saunders, do dinner with my Aunt Martha and cousin Sara, stay with my dad and Colleen, and have dinner with one of my Ganymede business partners Tim Huntley.  I wish I could get back to see more people, more often.




No comments: