Monday, February 06, 2006

Dog Sled races

This weekend, Jasper the dog and I went to the final stage of a week long dog sled race. It started in Jackson Hole and ended in Park City. By the time they got this far, there were still 20 of 24 teams competing. This was a short sprint leg, only eight miles.

We started by trying to get from where we parked to where the races would start. Little did we know, we were using the race course as our walking path. A snowmobiler who was driving the course right before the race started stopped us and offered us a ride on his snowbobile to get out of the way. I was not sure Jasper was quite up to this yet, so we ran back instead.

The race was fun to watch. The dogs seemed to be having a great time, but man do they work hard. I happened to be standing on an uphill section and they were clearly giving it their all.

Jasper was remarkably good. He desparately wanted to go out and join a sled team and give them a hand (paw). However, he didn't bark but one little woof the whole time, much to my relief.

The pictures are pretty mediocre. It was a grey day, so the lighting was poor. I had a dog leash (and dog) attached to my waist and to get to the best picture spots, I would have had to wade through waist deep snow. The lesson is to bring snowshoes, leave the dog, and hope it is a sunny day.

No comments: