Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My new Phantom 3 drone

I got my Phantom 3 when I got back from Italy and I have spent a few hours trying to learn to fly it and use it for both photos and video.  I am a long ways from proficient, so it will be a while before I try to show something serious.  However, here was one of my practice sessions.  They are part drone skills, part wear out the dog.  I like the drone.  Jasper loves it.

Click here for the Youtube video.  Best to watch it in some higher resolution, ideally HD.  The first minute is me flying from our hilltop down closer to our condo.  Then the dog show takes over. I will try to do something more interesting to watch in the near future.

By the way, these latest drones are an absolute miracle of technology, and that means something coming from a computer geek.  The only thing I can compare them to is the technology they have packed into a smart phone.  My drone can fly over a mile away from me, all the time receiving my instructions and sending back streaming 720p video.  It records HD video, 12M photos, has a very accurate GPS, sonar to figure out ground height, video tracking of the ground to detect drift, and much more.  It can go about 1500 feet high and fly at well over 30 mph.  Damn!

No comments: