Saturday, June 28, 2008

Burning down the house

I woke up yesterday to the sound of fire engines. They were off in the distance so I wasn't worried about anything close. When I got up and looked out over Park City, I could see a big plume of smoke. Something was burning in a big way. I grabbed my camera and hopped on my scooter (eco-Steve).

Turns out that a small house had caught fire and was in the process of burning to the ground. The fire spread to a beautiful historic house, which is what you see in the picture. I don't know the history, but it is known as the Angel House.



The flames started shooting through the roof of the Angel House.



We've already been getting hazy air from the fires in California. This certainly doesn't help.



The small house was a total loss and the Angel House suffered over $1M in damage. This is a big event for a small town. It is even more worrisome when you see how Old Town has so many very old, very dry buildings within feet of each other. Many were built long before our codes that require fire sprinkler systems.

No comments: