Friday, October 24, 2008

Chicago's architecture

I've been to Chicago a number of times on business, but never paid a lot of attention to the architecture there. I got a little more interested when I read The Devil in the White City. If you haven't read it, you should. An excellent story about the 1893 World's Fair with a murder story mixed in. Extremely well written. But I diverge.

Several people attending Seth's wedding had gone on a "architecture tour boat ride" and recommended it. We had some time to kill on Sunday so Jim and Kathy Covaleski, Julie and I went for the ride. If nothing else, it makes you look up and pay attention to what you are seeing. Chicago has an amazing variety of interesting buildings.

I don't remember all the details about each building, but you can see that a plain, square building just wouldn't do.





This is looking straight up at the new Trump building.













Next time you are in Chicago, spend lots of time looking up and pay attention to the detail. An amazing amount of it just gets lost in the huge scale of the skyscrapers.

No comments: