Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A dive into something different

I have been looking for something to do to exercise my brain and make some money, without having to take a 40-60 hour a week job. It took me a while, but I have finally settled on doing what I was trained to do, develop computer applications. I have always enjoyed writing code, but haven't done it in a long time.

To make things more interesting, I have decided to program in the most exciting market out there today, smart phones and tablets. My start is writing apps on the iPhone and iPad. It should be an adventure.

Lesson 1: Apple does not allow you to write IOS code on a Windows computer. So I went shopping for a Mac. While the new MacBook Pro's are more powerful, I decided to stick with the smaller, thinner, lighter MacBook Air. It really is about the size of a small magazine.



Day 1 with my new computer seems to be going well. I am typing on it right now and I have the basics running.

One other point of amusement. I got a note telling me my new laptop had shipped and would arrive in two days. I clicked on the FedEx link to see where it was. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see that it was starting its life in Shanghai. Think we don't have a global market? It is very easy to get something from Shanghai to Memphis to Salt Lake to Park City in two days. Wow.

No comments: