Sunday, January 13, 2013

Important security for your browser

I have seen lots of security warnings for PCs but most of them are resolved with a simple "make sure your software is up-to-date".  This week I saw a serious warning from US-CERT and then echoed by several of the major browser companies that said "TURN OFF JAVA".   I have read up on the problems and I agree.

Java is a programming language that allows web site designers to build more complicated and powerful web sites.  It was originally written by Sun, who was purchased by Oracle.  There have been a number of security issues with Java which would allow a hacker to take control of your computer and Oracle has been slow to fix them.  The good news is that very few web sites are using Java any more.  Don't confuse this with JavaScript which is built into the browsers.

I would suggest that instead of disabling Java, just do what I did and uninstall it for good.  For you Windows users:
  1. Start, then Control Panel, then Uninstall a Program
  2. Give it a few seconds to populate its list, then scroll down and find Java.  It probably  actually says something along the lines of "Java update x.x".  The Publisher should be Oracle.
  3. Double-click on it and follow the directions to finish uninstalling it.
 As I mentioned, very few web sites use this any more and it just isn't worth all the security risks.

No comments: