Thursday, April 11, 2013

Odds and Ends for today

GUNS
This week four toddlers shot people with guns (not joking).  Seems to me that in the midst of all this gun control debate, people might think to put their guns where little kids can't get them and maybe even think to keep them unloaded.  The NRA issued a press release stating "The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun, is a good toddler with a gun".  OK, that part was a joke, but only a little bit.


CHOLESTEROL
I have gone through this more than once.  I go to the doctor for an annual physical.  He does a blood test and tells me my cholesterol is a little bit high.  Nothing to worry about, but improve my eating habits.  I switch back to oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon every morning and cut back on red meat.  Retest and my total cholesterol drops 60 points, way into the healthy range.  Rather than taking Lipitor or any of those drugs, consider making some diet changes.  Yeah oatmeal!

You probably don't care, but my favorite oatmeal is McCann's Quick and Easy Steel Cut Oats.  Steel Cut oats are the best for you because they digest more slowly, keeping your blood sugar from spiking.  But they can take 25 minutes to cook.  My choice is the steel cut ones that are cut slightly smaller, making them cook in about 5 minutes.  And yes, if you clicked on the link, you can see that I actually buy them from Amazon.  I couldn't find them anywhere else.

No comments: