Saturday, July 20, 2013

CamRanger

I have a tool called CamRanger.  It is a little box that attaches to my DSLR cameras through their USB ports and then talks to an iPad over wireless Ethernet.  It allows me to set up the camera and then control every aspect of it other than zoom from the iPad.  It's great for things like star photography but today I decided to practice with it on hummingbirds.
It allows me to set the camera up pretty close to my feeders but then sit back 20 feet and take the pictures.  I don't scare the birds but I keep the flexibility of changing shutter speeds, ISO, f-stop, and focus points.
It's easy to set up and easy to use because all of the controls have the ease of a well designed iPad app.
I may give it another try tomorrow.  I need to work on setting everything up for better subject lighting.

No comments: