Monday, July 22, 2013

More hummingbirds

With Julie in D.C., I found that it was easy to kill a late afternoon on the porch with a camera. Today I was using a huge lens (500mm with a 1.4 teleconverter).

It was nice to have one actually sit still for just a second.  They move so fast that even at 1/2500th of a second, you still get motion.  Worse is the very small depth of focus.  Here you can see that his head is nice and sharp but his tail is quite soft.  With this lens, distance, and f-stop I only have about 3 to 4 inches in focus.

I like this one because he had his tail fanned out and was back lit.  Not a great shot, but different.  I struggle to guess when they are about to fly off.
Probably my cleanest shot of the evening.
But this was my favorite.  He looks like he's getting some attitude.

Full moon tonight but quite a few clouds.  Perhaps moonset tomorrow?

No comments: