Wednesday, November 05, 2008

What a nice day

First, the elections. I am very happy that Barack won last night. He was my choice as the best candidate, but I am also proud that the US would actually elect a black man as president. It wasn't that long ago that blacks had their own bathrooms and were forced to sit in the back of the bus. We do a lot of stupid things in this country. It's nice to see we can make progress at the same time.



Also very happy to see Elizabeth Dole lose. I thought she was useless for NC as a senator. Right up there with John "the useless cheater" Edwards. I thought she was a poor senator to start with, but when she started running attack ads questioning her opponents religiousness (not a word?), I think she lost a lot of support. I was really hoping she would fall.



And not quite as important, but still exciting, is this mornings picture from Deer Valley's Empire Lodge. I'm pretty sure this is how it is supposed to look.



Interesting tidbit: This is just a few hundred yards from where they are building the new high-end Montage Hotel. A few weeks ago, they had to stop construction because they uncovered a store of 19th century dynamite used for silver mining. Seems there was over a dozen cases of very old explosive. Very lucky they didn't set it off with the heavy equipment. It was safely removed and work has restarted.

1 comment:

Chad said...

I agree with you...it is very good to see that this country has come a long way. However, according to Tavis Smiley, voting in Obama means nothing to young black kids. To me, and I know I'm a white dude, but what else needs to happen for a young black kid to say to themselves, "see, I can do and be anything I work hard enough for."

Some of my black colleagues are more than outraged at Smiley's comments.