Friday, March 05, 2010

An addition to our family, almost

We decided that Cosette could use a kitty buddy. Naturally we started looking with Friends of Animals, the shelter Julie is on the board of.

The challenge is that I am allergic to most cats. Cosette is incredible. I can snuggle with her all I want and have no reaction. Our test for other possible cats is for me to pick them up and play with them for 30 minutes. At that point I can feel my skin itch and my throat get raspy.



I found one the other day named Olive. She was adorable and passed the first wave of my allergy testing. I brought her home for a trial adoption. We made a big mistake by bringing her into the house and letting her wander with Cosette and Jasper. This is a big no-no. Cats should be introduced very slowly because they are quite territorial. In the picture above, you can see Olive on the stool and Cosette down below. This was as close as they got and they were both growling.

I spent many hours with Olive, trying to continue my allergy test. Sadly, she did not pass. While much milder than most cats, she still caused a reaction and we had to take her back.

She was an incredibly sweet cat and just loved to wallow around in your lap. I hope she gets adopted quickly.

No comments: