Friday, February 25, 2011

Amazon Kindle pricing is a ripoff

About 6 months ago, I bought a Kindle e-book reader for Julie and I to use. I really enjoy using it and think it (and its competitors) will eventually replace physical books.

One complaint I have had is the book pricing. Obviously with an e-book, you save a fair amount on printing, store space, inventory, and unsold/returned inventory. Today I was looking at the pricing for a book I read about called Linchpin, by Seth Godin. The prices charged by Amazon are:
  • Paperback - $10.05
  • Hardback - $13.09
  • Kindle - $18.99
What a ripoff! Needless to say, I didn't buy the book for my Kindle. I probably won't buy the book at all.

1 comment:

Emily J. said...

I think I'd call them on it. There may be a mistake, although I just checked one I had on order for the Kindle for the day of release (a favorite author) and found that the paperback is only 3 cents more. Had I known that, I'd have gone for the paperback so I could share with someone else. (It was downloaded today.) I'll surely double-check from now on!