Thursday, September 16, 2010

The view from the wee hours

So, if you were to wake up at 4:00 in the morning and not be able to go back to sleep, what would you do?

Me, I make a pot of coffee, go out and unscrew the bulbs in the neighborhood street lights, and sit in the driveway taking pictures of the stars. I knew the moon was setting last night around midnight, so the skies were about as dark as they ever get around a town.

There really are gajillions of stars up there. The camera can pick up so many more than my eyes could see. This exposure was so long that the stars blurred a bit, but this gave the best idea of the incredible numbers.

To see the detail of a picture, double-click on it.



I like having a bit of horizon in the photos. Gives it some perspective.



And my favorite for the morning.



The bummer is that when I pulled the pictures off the camera to look at them on my PC, I had an idea of how I could have shot them better. I threw the camera back on the tripod and went back out, only to find that the very, very first light of the morning had washed away a lot of the stars. The sun is still an hour from coming up, but it sure doesn't take much light to make the dimmer stars fade out of sight.

No comments: