Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Help with some bird identification

I posted some of my better photos from Antelope Island.  Now for a few that aren't very good, but they are either odd, or contain birds I can't identify.  You can double-click on any photo you want to see zoomed in.

This was fun to watch.  I'm not sure how they communicate the excitement, but a group of Ibis's (Ibi?) found some yummy food out in the lake.  They came from everywhere, piled in tight and joined the feeding frenzy.


I suck with hawks.  What is this one?  Here's a view from below.


And here's the same hawk from the top.  Notice the seriously white butt.


In the middle is a little wren.  He's far enough away that an id may be impossible.


One more view of him.


Grebe's of one form or another.  They were quite small.


A tall, long-nosed brown bird.


Oops.  I scared him off.


These were interesting.  Out of hundreds of photos, they only appeared in one.  Some serious eye brows.


Another Grebe?


When I am taking pictures, I simply don't take the time to use my binoculars or scope to figure out what everything is.

Any help?


3 comments:

Emily J. said...

My guesses: Northern harrier (used to be marsh hawk) (white rump is definitive); long-billed curlew with Franklin's gulls; rock wren; red-necked phalarope (out of breeding plumage); and western grebe. Nice collection of sightings! Surely sent me back to the field guides!

Chuck said...

Steve, Audubon has on iPad/iPhone app that is great. It not only has typically 10+ pictures of each bird but also multiple examples of its calls. And lots of details about the birds. I think it was about $14 on iTunes but I think you might find it worth the money.

Chuck Terrien

Unknown said...

Mom, thanks for the help. If I have ever seen a phalarope, I don't remember it, so I will treat it as a life bird. Perhaps when you are here in November, we can go find you a chukar.

Chuck, I will take a look at it. I have one bird book app on my iPhone, but I find the pictures to be so small that it is really hard to use for two birds that are almost identical. At some point, Julie gets a new iPad and I get her old one. That could definitely help. Thanks!