Friday, August 19, 2011

The times, they are a changin

As Bob Dylan sang, the times are changing.  Last night we went over to the Goo Goo Dolls concert at Deer Valley.  They put on a good show and I recognized more songs than I thought I would. I think of them as rock, but with a slant towards pop.  Seeing the music wasn't that different.  It was the dining experience that got me thinking.  I have gone through quite a few different concert eating and drinking phases over the years:
  • The keg or cases of beer and Costco-sized chip bag phase:  Cheap. Simple to shop for.  Can be quite heavy for transport.  Too high in carbs for today's standards.
  • The weed and pizza phase:  Unfortunately illegal in most places.  More expensive.  Tastier food but difficult to get to a concert while still hot.  Dominos hesitates to deliver to a concert.
  • The tequila phase:  By far the ugliest and most destructive.  Can be expensive, depending on your taste in tequila.  You save money by forgetting to eat.
Now apparently I have wandered into the "older adult, Deer Valley" phase:.  Last night's spread, which was provided by Julie, the Benson's and Kathy Covaleski included:
  • White wine
  • Red wine
  • Cheese on fancy crackers.  Yes, one of the two cheeses was a tasty Brie.
  • Fruit salad
  • Lavosh sandwichs
  • Grapes
  • Granola-based brownies
The food was excellent, as were the wines, but I see a part of my adventurous youth twinkling off into the distant past.  I can just imagine another decade or two from now:
  • Nutritional meal replacement shake
  • Soft bread
  • Juice
I hope it doesn't come to that but I hate to chart out my general trend line over the last 30 years.  Time will tell.

No comments: