On our flights from Salt Lake to Phoenix to Kauai, we got to experience US Air's version of first class, at least on a domestic flight. What a huge disappointment. The seats were bigger and roomier, but that is about it.
- The meal served on a 7 hour flight was crap. It was what you used to get for a coach ticket on a flight from Raleigh to Dallas.
- My favorite thing on first class is the warm nuts they serve as an appetizer. Here we got a small bag of some salted mixed food product.
- The seats barely reclined.
- The movie was shown on an old 15" TV, about 10 feet in front of us. An eagle couldn't have followed the visuals.
- No wi-fi on board. Other airlines have this on all their flights.
So, for the $1300+ premium US Air wants to bump you to first class, I would suggest:
- Book coach early so you get a decent seat assignment
- Buy a $7 sub at the airport
- Bring a $20 pillow, knowing you can leave it at the airport when your flight is over.
- Buy a $5 of Exedrin PM and take one for a nap
- Pocket the remaining $1268 and have a most wonderful vacation.
At least the house we booked on Kauai is everything we expected and more. That and lots of pictures in the near future. Today we are off to the Na Pali coast for some hiking.