Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Choosing a new DSLR

You may have read my blog article about Superzoom cameras and my recommendation of the FZ200 from Panasonic.  While these are great cameras, there are a lot of people who want the power and control of a Digital SLR.

First, do you go with Nikon or Canon?  I am a happy Nikon user but the truth is, they are about equal.  Once you pick one and buy some lenses, that generally drives your upgrades for many years to come because the lenses are not interchangeable. I will get around to making a set of Canon recommendations, but let's start with a Nikon system. Remember, there are lots of alternatives and an equal number of opinions from "experts". Here is my opinion:

First, the camera body.  Right now Nikon is selling the following DSLR bodies: D3200, D5100, D7000, D300s, D600, D800 and D4.  They range in price from $500 to $6,000.  If you are looking for a good DSLR  without overdoing it, I would go with the D7000.  Why?  The D3200 and D5100 are nice cameras, but they are missing a number of features that make a bigger camera worthwhile.  If you don't care about those features, I would suggest saving money, weight and complexity and go with a Superzoom.  The D7000 runs around $1000 for the body, about $700 less than the next model up, the D300s.  I love my D300 but it is built with 4 year old technology and desperately needs to be updated by Nikon. The other models are more expensive and would be hard for a beginner to justify unless you just won the lottery and simply don't care.

For lenses, you want to be able to cover a wide angle view through a fairly long zoom.  To grab that market, the lens manufacturers have come out with lenses that cover an amazingly broad range. Nikon has an 18-200 and even an 18-300 lens.  While it is nice to have one lens that does everything for you, these lenses sacrifice quality and sharpness, which is one of the big reasons you are buying a DSLR.  I suggest finding a pair of lenses that covers most or all of your needs, at least as you get going.
  • Nikon 18-105 zoom.  This is one of Nikon's kit lenses, which means you can buy it with the body and save some money.  This is the lens you will probably use 80% of the time.  Portraits.  Parties. Landscapes.
  • Nikon 55-300 zoom.  This gives you the ability to zoom in tight on things that are further away.  Make sure you get the VR version of this lens (see link below).  Nikon currently sells three different 55-300 zooms. Argh!
Many people get the body and lenses but forget about all the things required to use the camera and protect it. My recommended shopping list:
Some optional stuff
Let me know if you have questions or feedback.  I would love to keep updating this list as better things become available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
I am very much looking forward to your review of Canon DSLR cameras. I'm thinking of upgrading from my 60D. I LOVE my EFS 17-55mm lens. I know I will need a new body and new lens.
As usual, lovin' your blog.