Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Rowing (sort of) Day 1

I got up early this morning and headed to the Jordanelle Reservoir for my first day of rowing training. The weather was about as nice as anyone could ask for.  Imagine the scene below, before any of the local campers are awake, gliding smoothly on the water, almost silently.

That, of course, had nothing to do with my rowing. All my strength and endurance training on the indoor rower will continue to be useless until I get my act together. The boats are skinny and unstable, even the training versions we were in.  My oars were essentially big splashy sticks.
These are my two classmates in a double.  I was in a single.  The trainers are wider and more stable than the racing boats.  If I had started in a racing boat, I would have gotten more training in swimming than rowing.  Balance and grace are a real plus here and I have neither.

One of my classmates, Jenny, is the head of the Kimball Art Center's education program.  She's my boss when I teach photography there.
 And this is our wonderfully patient instructor, Dayna. I was happy that she didn't have us sitting on shore for long.  No better place to learn than out in the water.
Back again on Thursday.  Hopefully between now and then I will picture a much smoother stroke. Getting the oars in and out of the water correctly is not something that comes naturally to me. Just the same, I think I can learn the basics fairly quickly.

No comments: