Sunday, March 09, 2014

A Great Protein Shake

Julie and I have been having a lot of protein shakes over the past year.  They taste good, help you stay in shape, and give you lots of fruit servings.   Mostly I like them because they taste like a milkshake.  Here's what goes into  ours:

  • 1 scoop protein powder.  I found a chocolate flavored one that I love!  I get it from Amazon here.  Very tasty and good for you.
  • A cup or so of frozen fruit.  Raspberries are our favorite.
  • Half a banana
  • A cup or so of almond milk.  You could use regular milk, but we have switched completely over to almond milk.  
  • Sometimes I will throw in a cup of ice.  Doesn't do anything other than make it more filling and better hydration.
Our friend Jim Covaleski suggested we try throwing in some spinach.  We were hesitant, but it works great. Just pitch in a handful of spinach leaves and the blender makes them disappear.  You get the health benefits without really noticing.

Now I found something I like even better than adding spinach, adding three of last year's thin mint Girl Scout cookies from the freezer. I am pretty sure the spinach is healthier. but we don't have that many thin mints left (half a box) so the fun can't last too long.

I am convinced that these protein shakes are helpful for losing weight, building muscle, and getting your fruit-based anti-oxidants.  All that and it is incredibly quick and easy.

No comments: