Friday, July 13, 2012

David Bird meets Goliath Bird

I went back to visit my Swainson's Hawk to see if the nestling was big enough to fly.  He wasn't yet. While I was watching the nest, this Western Kingbird was watching me.  I think he might have been questioning my choice of lenses.
Then another one came by.  I am not sure whether they were a couple, friends or competitors.
When they were out hunting for bugs, they hovered and bobbed, poking at whatever was flying by.  Their hunting flight is very interesting to watch.
I looked over my shoulder and saw one of the two hawks flying by, giving me a few loud squawks.  I was actually a long ways from their nest, but it might have remembered me from the other day.
Yep.  He remembered.  And I remembered to duck.
Suddenly, the Kingbirds decided I needed a little bit of protection. For little bug eaters, these guys were absolutely fearless.
Clearly all the birds are being very protective of their little ones right now.  I try to stay a long ways off and use a big lens, but clearly that isn't quite enough.

I will try another visit in a week or so to try and get a glimpse of the baby hawk venturing out.

1 comment:

Emily J. said...

Kingbirds are fearless, as you saw. Orchard orioles sometimes nest in the same trees, and the two species seem to get along. The kingbirds protect the whole tree or bush, leaving the orioles to mind their young with less stress, I think.