Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hunting for hawks. Finding bluebirds.

A few weeks ago, I discovered a Swainsons Hawk's nest.  It is in a dead pine tree, which should make it easier to see, but it is deep in the tree, protected by tons of branches.

I went to try and get some photos yesterday.  The mom was on the nest and dad moved from the nest, to the tree top, and then flew off.  I got some shots, but I'm not happy with them.  I hope to post some when I get something more interesting. I haven't seen babies yet, but I am not sure I would if they were there.

Meanwhile, just below the hawk's nest is a bluebird box.  Two mountain bluebirds were busy running back and forth with food for their little ones.  They were fun to watch and a lot more cooperative than the hawks.

Not much to describe.  Just pretty to look at.







1 comment:

Emily J. said...

Beautiful!