Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Why I Won't Touch Windows 8 Yet

Microsoft did its big launch of Windows 8 a few weeks ago.  I am normally on the bleeding edge of technology, but this is one I won't touch for six months or a year.  Windows 8 runs on three separate platforms, and here is where I think it is for each:
  • Phones:  It's getting decent reviews on phones and I think that the only things missing are some new phones and a few more key applications.  As much as I "must" have an excellent phone, I would give this another 3-6 months.
  • Tablets:   Much like the phones, Windows 8 seems well designed for tablets and I really like the systems with integrated keyboards as covers.  Still needs more apps, but if I was buying anything with Windows 8 today, it would be a tablet.
  • Laptops and desktops:  Simply put, don't do it.  Not all your apps will run.  Not all your drivers will work.  The main interface is really designed for touchscreen and is much harder to use with a mouse.  You will spend a lot of very frustrating time doing the most basic navigation.  If you buy a new computer, definitely, without a doubt, get Windows 7.

No comments: