Thursday, October 14, 2010

Getting some super deals

It's a slower time for the blog, so I thought I might take the next few days and throw out some suggestions of things that I love, and you may not have heard of.

One of the great things about the Internet is how easily people can share information. The trick is to sort through the crap and find something interesting or helpful. My favorite web site for saving money is called Slick Deals. People post hundreds of deals being offered around the web. Then others can vote on the quality the deal with a thumbs up or down. The default view is to see only the Hot Deals.

An example: the other day I bought two reams (20 500-packs) of quality paper from Office Depot. They were normally $52 each. The deal listed two valid coupons and a rebate. My total cost for $104 worth of paper was 18 cents, shipped. When you are shopping for a non-profit, you can't beat deals like that.

If you are shopping for something and are willing to wait for a deal, enter your search. At the top of the search results, there is an option to "Create a deal alert". Make your search as specific as possible, and then tailor your alert to only be sent when the deal is 4 stars or higher. You'll get an email the moment something interesting shows up. I have found this to be very helpful for things like little Canon cameras and USB Flash drives.

No comments: