Thursday, October 28, 2010

Somedays it sucks to be me

15 or 20 years ago, I had a wisdom tooth pulled. Just one. Who do you know who does just one? I was happy to have all four out but the oral surgeon said "Why bother? The other three are fine." They weren't fine and they should have come out then.

I have declared this year to be "fix my mouth" year. Back in May I had some fillings done and had a minor surgery to fix the crappy work from the first wisdom tooth extraction. Today, the other three wisdom teeth had to go (teeth numbers 1, 16 and 17 for all you study-at-home dentists).



The process was pretty quick and easy, as long as you aren't squeamish and don't mind a bit of pain. It was all done with a local pain killer and only took 30 minutes. The good news and bad is that I still have strong jaw bones. Probably comes from eating as much as I do. It means my jaws are healthy, but it also meant the teeth put up more fight than expected.

Now all my wisdom is in some trash can at the surgeon's, but at least I should have fewer problems keeping my back teeth clean and shiny.

Assuming my extractions heal as planned, I hereby declare an end to "fix my mouth" year.

UPDATE 1: OK, this is unpleasant. The two teeth that came out with a standard "grip it and rip it" are dandy. They stopped bleeding quickly. No swelling. No pain. Life is good. The one he ended up having to break and then to drill and dig to get the roots out is very unhappy. Go figure! Swollen. Sore. Took 10 hours to stop bleeding. Just to magnify the annoyance, I am eating luke-warm mushy food and drinking my coffee warm as well. Hoping for big improvement today.

No comments: